Friday, September 1, 2017

behind the scenes│SOLO show PHOTOGRAPHY IS POETRY, Stage West, Fort Worth, TX, U.S. (post II)



The installment day was a true nightmare. When I arrived to the Stage West, I saw the West Gallery hung with artwork of another artist. I tried to communicate right away about the issue with Dana, Gallery Manager, who I met by chance in front of the theatre, but she was in rehearsal, and told me that she was overwhelmed with so many things going on at that time, so couldn't really take care of the problem. I have to admit that it made me feel quite uncomfortable, kind of being caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't understand why she scheduled my installment when no one was available for assistance in the theatre at that hour.

As I designed home the layout of my exhibition for 25' long wall with precision, had all my tools, and was perfectly ready to hang everything by myself, I expected things to go smoothly the day of installment. However, that wasn't the case. Instead of hanging my works, I can say that I had to hang the total of four exhibitions! First of all,I moved the artwork of another artist to the East Gallery which was suggested as a solution by Dana. I was happy to be able to do so, using my own materials as the paintings didn't have a proper wire on the back. Without attaching a wire, it would have been hard and insecure to use the pre-hung system available on the East wall for them to be displayed. It took me a while to work on it, but finally I succeeded and was proud of myself. After that, I started working on my photographs. I measured everything on the wall of the West Gallery, and hung about 30 % of my exhibition, when I realized that the previous solution wasn't acceptable anymore, hence I had to remove all the works of the painter from the east wall to put them back in the West.  That was a challenge, and cost me even more work, because I had now to detach all the wires and imitate exactly the same layout they were displayed previously. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture, so it was quite time consuming before the paintings were perfectly mirrored and back on the West wall. 

Well, what about me? At this stage I was about to leave, and give up on everything when suddenly, I found some strength within me, and compromised: I hung my exhibition in the East gallery which I wasn't prepared to do. I had nine pieces, and the gallery had only eight wires. I had to give up on one piece. The pre-hung system wasn't too perfect as the wires didn't seem to have the same length. I didn't like it too much. I was missing proper hooks for red brick wall. My pins that I brought for labels didn't work on the wall. I tried to attach them in a different creative way with cloth pins. 

Today, after going through all that mess including the unpleasant incident with cancellation of my Giveaway Evening as well as taking down my work permanently the following day from the gallery, I think I made a mistake by compromising the day of installment. I am meticulous about my photographic work. Only if every detail works my way, I can have a peaceful nigh sleep. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.